101WINEMAKING.COM      
42.4883667, -77.113860700000038

 

  
 

MAY YOUR WINES FALL BRIGHT!    
Shop online, shipping daily  
CLOSING SALE
fallbright mobile shop online qr 
Inventory PRICES reduced.  All inventory is on Dutch St.  Call to confirm item count, if you want.  This cart has no inventory capabilities. 

Call 607-368-3449 if you want to meet me there. 
 

Fall Bright, The Winemakers Shoppe
www.fallbright.comDundee, NY, USA, 607-292-3995

COPPER SULFATE    1.0%   copper sulfate is a poison pretty blue liquid

MSDS and medical attention

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
Follow directions carefully.

http://www.bcawa.ca/winemaking/h2s.htm    MORE, read this page!  This article explains the connection of ascorbic acid use with this treatment, as some instructions will indicate to add it after treatment and some before!

Use copper sulfate as soon as possible after the fermentation. You should only add enough to cure the problem as excess copper will cause hazes and at higher levels will be toxic.

To avoid adding excess copper, use bench tests to determine the minimum effective dose. (See below.)

If in doubt about excess copper, have the wine tested. If the wine takes on a bitterly astringent taste you have excess copper.   

However, if you have used the maximum amount and the problem still exist, add ascorbic acid at the rate of 1/4 gram per gallon.  Rack again, filtration is recommended. 

 http://www.bcawa.ca/winemaking/h2s.htm  MORE, read this page!  This article explains the connection of ascorbic acid use with this treatment, as some instructions will indicate to add it after treatment and some before!

DIRECTIONS for Copper Sulfate:  Do not change the sample size for the use of these directions.

1. Make three or four samples of wine of equal measured volume of approximately a quart or 750 ml. Label them "A, B, C, and D" for instance. Do not reduce the size of the sample for the below instructions.

2. Add 1 drop of copper sulfate to sample A.
  Add 2 drops to sample B.
  Add 4 drops to sample C and
  Add 8 drops to sample D.
  Stir or shake these wines, cover and let sit until the next day. 

3. Check the samples and determine the minimum dose which corrected the problem. Add at the same rate to your wine. NOTE:  If the 4 drop sample corrected the problem and the 2 drop sample did NOT, add 1 more drop to the 2 drop sample to create a 3 drop sample. Shake and wait again. It is important to determine the minimum amount you truly need.

  1 milliliter = 20 drops
  1 ounce = about 600 drops

4. After the addition of copper sulfate to your wine, fine it with bentonite or sparkolloid, both of which will help remove excess copper ions. Rack the wine off of this sediment as soon as it has settled out. Filter as desired.

5.  If you have used the maximum amount and the problem still exist, add ascorbic acid at the rate of 0.1 to 1/4 gram per gallon.

http://www.bcawa.ca/winemaking/h2s.htm  MORE, read this page!

WARNING:  COPPER SULFATE IS POISONOUS. 
 Use it according to directions and do not exceed minimum effective doses.

KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

CONVERSION METRIC TO OUNCES TO DETERMINE HOW MUCH TO ORDER

  • There are 29.6 ml per fluid ounce. Correct me if I am wrong.

  • A 750 ml standard wine bottle is 25.34 ounces. (750 divided by 29.6)

  • One gallon (128 ounces) is (128 X 29.6ml) or 3788.8 ml. Don't you just hate all of this?

  • If the wine will be treated at the rate of 1 drop or 2 drops per 750 ml, then you need to figure out how many bottles you have in your batch.

  • A one gallon batch of 3788.8 ml is 5.05 bottles (3788.8 divided by 750)

  • The rate would be 1 to 8 drops per bottle depending on your test results.

  • If 1 drop per bottle will work, you will need 5 drops to treat 5 bottles or 1 gallon.

  • Eight (8) drops per bottle would need 40 drops to treat 5 bottles or 1 gallon of wine at the maximum dose. Got it?

  • So, if you have 100 gallons to treat: 100 gal X 128 ounces (per gallon) X 29.6ml = (equals) 378880 ml divided by 750 ml bottle = 505 bottles to treat.

  • The 1 drop per bottle treatment would require 505 X 1 or 505 drops. As there are 20 drops in an ml. you would need (505 divided by 20) or
    25.25 ml

  • If the 8 drops per bottle is the dose then you would need 505 X 8 drops or 4040 drops divided by 20 (20 drops in an ml) or 202 ml or how many ounces??? That would be 202 divided by (29.6 ml = 1 ounce) 29.6 or 6.8 ounces.

    Now, you probably want us to figure out how much you need, right? Oh well...

 
 

Departments

May Your Wines Fall Bright!